It’s been a long time coming (roughly about 6 months) and a lot of time and effort has been put into it, but CodeIgniter 1.6.0 has finally been released. This is great news and a welcome update for anyone who currently uses CodeIgniter. I for one am really stoked about it and look forward to using some of the new features added in this release. Below is a quick look at some of the highlights of 1.6.0:
- A Database Forge class: database agnostic table and field manipulation
- An enhanced Active Record library
- A revised Session Class with “flash variables” and additional security
- An extendable Model Class with auto-loadable Models
- Extendable Helpers, and additions and enhancements to existing Helpers
- A revised view architecture that allows for simple inclusion of multiple views
- And over 120 different enhancements, improvements and bug fixes
For a full rundown of all that has changed since CI 1.5.4, have a look through the changelog.
It’s pretty amazing the amount of work the EllisLab team has put into this release and the framework as a whole. The community has also played a huge role and has certainly kept the CodeIgniter flame burning brightly. They have assisted both the developers and their fellow community members in so many ways. All I can say is job well done by everyone involved and I look forward to the future of this wonderful PHP framework.